It was a daunting experience for me to load Ubuntu on my newly purchased ATI HD 6450 card. First of all the drivers provided by ATI doesn’t seem to work with the Unity for some reason, once you install these drivers they will not open up the Unity and leave you staring at the blank screen. Finally after digging for several hours I found the solution.
- Install Ubuntu Server / Desktop 13.04
- Download ATI linux drivers from www.amd.com
- Press CTRL + ALT + F1 to drop to the terminal and run the installation sudo sh ati-driver.bundle
- Install compizconfig-settings-manager sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
- Reboot your computer
- Login to your account
- On the blank desktop press CTRL + ALT + t
- In the terminal type ccsm
- Enable the Unity plugin and Voila!